For such a small town, Ogden is booming with community spirit so it’s no surprise that Utah is one of the top states for volunteerism. For every tragedy that strikes, for every disaster, the Ogden community pulls together instantly to help each other out. Nearly every person I know is involved with some local non-profit or volunteer project and on any given day you can see a community project in the works.
At one time Ogden was an eyesore, a hollow shell of the booming town she used to be, but through volunteerism and through the help of locals the town came around and she is once again becoming the star of Utah. These 20 local non-profits and charities are just the tip of the iceberg but they have been working overtime recently to help those in need, to inspire and to transform Ogden.
If you are interested in volunteering this list is a great place to start but don’t stop here, there are hundreds of organizations that you can donate funds or your time to and you can find them all through these huge lists HERE and HERE.
Thank you to all the great volunteers who make up these organizations, for loving Ogden and for working hard to make it the best city it can be. So without further ado, the fabulous organizations that are making Ogden a better place, in no particular order!
- Their Mission: Giv exists to help blighted and transitional communities regrow via place. Its emphasis on comprehensive area planning, creative branding initiatives, and hands-in-the-dirt program facilitation serve as a type of connective tissue between city and citizen that is often lacking in disadvantaged areas. Through it all, we look to catalyze sustainable, vibrant, and lasting communities in the places, and for the people, that need it most. Learn more about us here.
- Recent Projects: Imagine Jefferson, Trolley district revitalization, Free Community Yoga, Free soccer for local kids
- How you can help: Yoga and Soccer volunteers as well as donations and community support
- Contact Info: INFO@GIVGROUP.ORG , PHONE: 801.917.GIV4, WEBSITE: http://www.givdevelopment.com/
McKay Dee Foundation
- Their Mission: “For over 46 years, our generous supporters have helped us fund needed medical equipment, hospital andcommunity programs, clinical trainings for caregivers at McKay-Dee Hospital, and the Annie Taylor Dee Guest Home”.
- Recent Projects: Angel Watch Program, Cancer Exercise Rehabilitation, Cancer Support group, Cancer Survivor’s Day, Dental Days, NuHope Suicide Prevention Program, Hispanic Labor Friends Program and many more hospital and community projects.
- How You Can Help: Donations: Cash donations can be gifted to the area of greatest need or a specific area of support of your choosing. For example, you may choose to donate for medical equipment, hospital and community programs, clinical education, or the Annie Taylor Dee Guest Home. Gifts may also be made in memory or honor of someone. Donations of Inkind items to support church, school or other service projects can also be made. Volunteering Opportunities: Play the beautiful grand piano in the hospital lobby, volunteer for special events or become a part of the Women’s Council of McKay-Dee Hospital.
- Contact Info: PHONE: (801) 387-7175, WEBSITE: http://intermountainhealthcare.org/
Nurture The Creative Mind
- Their Mission: The Nurture the Creative Mind Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to empowering youth through partnering education, creativity and character development.
- Recent Projects: Ogden 52 Project, Skateboard design class, Painting a piano for Make a Wish Foundation, Upcycled furniture, Workshops and classes for local youth.
- How you can help: Volunteer to teach a class, donate supplies, Help share information on classes, Join their board of team members.
- Contact Info: PHONE: 801.499.2371, EMAIL: amirjackson@NurtureTheCreativeMind.com WEBSITE: http://www.nurturethecreativemind.com/JoinOurTeam
Junior League Of Ogden
- Their Mission:The Junior League of Ogden is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and to improving the community through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
- Recent Projects: Oasis Community Garden, Dental Days, Kids in the kitchen, JR. Junior League, Adopt a smile.
- How you can help: Become A Junior League Member, attend fundraising events, donate
- Contact Info: PHONE: 801-393-2540 EMAIL: email@example.com WEBSITE: http://juniorleagueogden.org/
YCC Your Community Connection
- Their Mission: For over 65 years, YCC has been dedicated to the saving and changing of lives. It is our belief that by investing our time and resources for the betterment of the community in which we live, we are investing in the future of Weber County.
- Recent Projects: Rape Recovery Program & Education, YCC Thrift Store, Homeless housing assistance, Senior Lifecare program, Childcare.
- How you can help: Volunteers are needed at all of their programs, donate to their current needs list.
- Contact Info: PHONE: (801) 394-9456 EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org WEBSITE: http://www.ycchope.org/
- Their Mission: Our mission is to inspire the Greater Ogden Community and its visitors to “Get Out And Live!” by participating, volunteering and spectating at recreational events, programs and activities.
- Recent Projects: Ogden Marathon, Skirt in the dirt, Xterra, Youth running program, Shoe give back program, Climbing/pickle-ball/mountain biking summer camps.
- How you can help: Adopts a school, Volunteer at races and events
- Contact Info: PHONE:801-399-1773 WEBSITE:http://getoutandlive.org/volunteer
Christmas Box House
- Their Mission: The Christmas Box International provides assistance to prevent child abuse and services to improve the quality of life for children who have been abused, neglected or abandoned.Our motto is simple: every child deserves a childhood.
- Recent Projects: Christmas box houses, Project Elf, Lifestart initiative,
- How you can help: Be a child mentor, Host a fundraiser, Volunteer with on of their programs
- Contact Info: PHONE: 801-747-2201 WEBSITE: http://www.thechristmasboxhouse.org/volunteer/
- Their Mission: EnableUtah aspires to create and enhance opportunities and independence for people with disabilities. EnableUtah will promote independence, inclusion and acceptance in the community for people with disabilities.
- Recent Projects: Supportive living, supportive employment, job training, after school services, behavior consultation
- How you can help: Volunteer for one of their programs, donate funds
- Contact Info: Community Services Coordinator: email@example.com WEBSITE: http://www.enableutah.com/
- Their Mission: Weber Pathways is a non-profit organization in Weber County, Utah, dedicated to trails and pathways for walkers, runners, hikers, cyclists, horseback riders, cross-country skiers, snowshoers, and other non-motorized trail users.
- Recent Projects: River Pathways, Bonneville Shoreline, outreach program,
- How you can help: Adopt a trail, Eagle Scout projects, Trail trekker, volunteer time
- Contact Info: PHONE: 801-393-2304 WEBSITE: http://www.weberpathways.org/volunteer
Midtown Community Health
- Their Mission: Midtown Provides a medical home to individuals and families in our communities who face barriers of geography, culture, language, and economic or insurance status.
- Recent Projects: Community health days, free- low cost health care for low income residents
- How you can help: Volunteer to provide free medical services
- Contact Info: EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org WEBSITE: http://www.midtownchc.org/en/support/volunteer-network
OWCAP Ogden Weber Community Action Partnership
- Their Mission: Ogden Weber Community Action Partnership’s mission is to assist those in need to become self-sufficient. Head Start is one of OWCAP’s programs which works to open the world to children and families for opportunities toward self-sufficiency.
- Recent Projects:Emergency food program, GED classes, Head Start, Marshall White Center
- How you can help:Volunteer at Marshall White Center, Volunteer at head start, donate supplies, distribute flyers, translation services
- Contact Info: EMAIL: bmercier@owcap WEBSITE: http://www.owcap.org/
Weber Morgan Children’s Justice Center
- Their Mission: The center was originally established to serve children 17 years of age or younger who are victims of alleged sexual or physical abuse. In recent years, there has been an increased demand for services for other crimes involving children, such as domestic violence, drug endangerment, and internet exploitation.
- Recent Projects: Support services, investigations/lawyers/forensics for abuse cases, counseling
- How you can help: Volunteer at fundraising events, cleaning of facility, write for the site, photograph events, donate
- Contact info: PHONE: (801) 778-6268 WEBSITE: http://cjcogden.org/volunteer/
Ogden Nature Center
- Their Mission: The Ogden Nature Center is a 152-acre nature preserve and education center. Our mission is to unite people with nature and nurture appreciation and stewardship of the environment.
- Recent Projects: Earth day celebration, fly with the flock 5k, summer camps
- How you can help: Volunteers range in age from 6-94! Opportunities include helping with bulk mailings, special events, education, facilities repair and much, much more!
- Contact Info: PHONE: (801) 621-7595 EMAIl: email@example.com WEBSITE: http://ogdennaturecenter.org/volunteers
OUTreach Resource Centers
- Their Mission: OUTreach Resource Centers is a non-profit collection of youth resource centers dedicated to transforming communities and saving lives through comprehensive programming, community advocacy, and training designed to promote positive outcomes for underserved populations.
- Recent Projects:Peer mentoring, Safe homes for displaces LGBTQ youth, Ally training, affirmation programming, safe schools initiative Support groups, art for youth
- How you can help: Become a mentor, volunteer at special events, cook at shelters, become a safe house, volunteer skills
- Contact info: WEBSITE: http://www.outreachresourcecenters.org/volunteer
Habitat For humanity Weber-Davis
- Their Mission: At Habitat for Humanity of Weber and Davis Counties, we believe that creating affordable housing is a community effort. We strive to create high-quality volunteer experiences for all members of the community seeking to respond to the need of affordable housing.
- Recent Projects: Brush with kindness program improving neighborhoods, building homes for low income families, women build
- How you can help: Volunteers can help in many areas including construction, at our ReStore, professional services, office support, committee work, and special event planning.
- Contact info: WEBSITE: http://habitatwd.org/get-involved/ EMAIL:firstname.lastname@example.org PHONE: 801-475-9821
Give Me A Chance
- Their Mission: Give Me a Chance empowers low-income women by teaching marketable skills and providing opportunities that lead to self-sufficiency while enriching children’s lives through education.
- Recent Project: Guadalupe gardens, Who gave you a chance-stories from women, A stitch in time chairty event, job training, after school tutoring, on the job training
- How you can help: Purchase from their store, volunteer time, donate
- Contact info: WEBSITE: http://gmacutah.org/support/
- Their Mission: Lantern Huse exists to aid the poor, needy and homeless by providing them food, shelter and critical emergency services. We provide a hand up rather than a hand out. Our goal is to transition residents from shelter to housing; encouraging their sense of independence, self-sufficiency and self-confidence. We are committed to carry out this mission while treating those who come to us with compassion, dignity and respect.
- Recent Projects: Housing placement, temporary shelter, meals for homeless
- How you can help: Soup Kitchen volunteers, sorting goods, professional services, activities for residents
- Contact info: PHONE: 801-621-5036 WEBSITE: http://www.stannescenter.org/volunteer.html
- Their Mission: Hope’s Rescue is a group of people who are dedicated to saving as many dogs and cats as we can from Utah’s shelters. We believe that companion animals are family and that they deserve our stewardship and care.
- Recent Projects: Adoption and rescue of animals, fostering animals, fundraising, spay and neuter
- How you can help: Foster a pet, volunteer at adoption events, promote adoptable animals, donate supplies
- Contact info: WEBSITE: http://hopesrescue.org/get-involved/ PHONE: 801-690-6317.
Pack N Pounce Animal Rescue
- Their Mission: Your support and donations through our thrift store help provide medical care, supplies, and forever homes for animals in need.
- Recent Projects: Adopting and fostering animals
- How you can help: Volunteer at adoption events and in the thrift store
- Contact info: PHONE: 801-710-6440 WEBSITE: https://www.facebook.com/PackNPounceAnimalRescue
- Their Mission: Through wildlife rehabilitation and education we will empower the community to engage in conservation and responsible stewardship of wildlife and habitat.
- Recent Project: Rehabilitation of 18 bald eagles, release of bucky the beaver after recovery from oil spill, baby animal fundraiser
- How you can help:Answering the phone Handling the intake of injured birds, Feeding and caring for baby songbirds, Cleaning, Fundraising, Office work/record keeping/ mailings, Educational programs, Community outreach, Event planning, Boy Scout Eagle projects, Corporate and group projects, Writing newsletters, Caring for injured or orphaned raptors (after gaining adequate experience
- Contact info: PHONE:801-814-7888 EMAIL: email@example.com WEBSITE:http://wrcnu.org/pages/volunteer_opportunities
With more and more great organizations starting, we have expanded the list, keep reading to discover more!
- Their Mission: Youth Futures provides safe shelter, collaborative resources, respectful guidance and diverse support to homeless, unaccompanied, runaway and at-risk youth in Northern Utah.
- Recent Project: Our street outreach team hits the streets every Wednesday even in the snow! We serve those that are sleeping outside, or those in need of items like hygiene, food, water, and warm clothing!
- How you can help: Youth Futures is always in need of volunteers and donations, check out their needs at http://www.yfut.org/#HowYouCanHelp
- Contact info: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 801-528-1214 Web:http://www.yfut.org/ FB: https://www.facebook.com/YouthFuturesUT