We live in an incredible town with beautiful trails and pathways to explore. Hiking them is tons of fun but if you want to take it to the next level I think it’s time you tried Geo-Caching. Geo-caching is a real world outdoor treasure hunt using GPS devices. Treasures can be anything, you never know what you will find.
What is Geocaching? Here’s a great video and for more check this link HERE.
So, how do you go on a geo-caching adventure?
- First you need a GPS device or a phone with GPS capabilities.
- Next you need to sign up for a site that lists caches like Geocaching.com.
- You can also download an app for your phone so you can geo-cache on the go. Check out the top 5 apps HERE.
- Search for caches near you.
- Pick your Cache
- Enter the coordinates in your GPS device
- Go Geo-caching!
- Find your Cache and trade something, add things or just browse the items for fun
- Replace the cache exactly how you found it so theirs can find it again
- Once home you can log-in to your geo-caching site and report on your findings if you want
What do you need to bring?
- Your GPS device or phone of course!
- Pen and paper to take notes and any notes about your cache location
- An item to trade at the cache. It should be something you are willing to give away, but might be of some interest or value to another person.
- A camera if you want to document your adventure or post on your geo-caching site
- Water, stay hydrated always!
- A friend, because adventures are always more fun with a friend.
Ready for your adventure? Here are some easy geo-catches to get you started! Click the images to be taken to their cache profile.
Ready for more? Click the map to be taken to all the caches in Ogden!