Nothing warms the soul after a long day in the snow quite like a ‘sticks to your ribs’ kind of soup. In the winter I am always craving creamy soups but I don’t really want to spend a lot of time cooking and canned soup is out of the question, yuck! I came up with this easy and quick recipe that really hit the spot and best of all it uses some local ingredients that really add a little kick.
This recipe takes under half hour to make, less than 20 if you don’t have one kid hanging on your leg and one spilling glitter in the living room. You can use regular old cheddar or Colby jack but if you really want to add some local flavor you simply must use Beehive’s ‘Big John Cajun’ cheese. In this recipe I also used local milk from Johnny’s dairy but of course regular ol’ milk from the grocery will be just as delicious.
*If you are feeling adventurous add a couple of cups of cooked macaroni and convert this recipe into creamy broccoli mac n cheese!
- 3 tbsp real butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups milk- Try Johnny’s Dairy local milk !
- 1 extra large head of broccoli or 2 medium- Try looking in Carlo’s produce stand!
- 1/2 c shredded Big John’s Cajun cheese from Beehive Cheese or 1/2 C regular cheese
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 all natural chicken/veggie bullion or sub 1 cup of milk for chicken/veggie broth
- In a sauce pan melt butter over med heat
- add flour and mix
- cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly to remove flour taste
- add milk and broth/bullion and whisk together until smooth and flour is all dissolved
- add cheese and stir until melted together
- chop head of broccoli into tiny pieces, peel stem and dice into pieces (or omit if you don’t like the stem)
- Cook for about 10 minutes at a slow boil, whisking frequently to keep bottom from sticking
- serve and top with shredded cheese, yum!